Monday, January 18, 2010

YIPPEE!! Honorable Mention for Scrapbooking Memories Masters Comp 2010

Yippee!! I got one Honorable Mention in this year's Scrapbooking Memories magazine and I am stoked to be alongside some amazingly talented scrappers.

Now that the magazine is published I can show you the layouts I entered. The first one is the one that received the Honorable Mention, hence being published. It was to create a uniquely shaped layout. The basic shape is a circle with an acetate background. There is quite a bit of handstitching on the circle and on one of the striped paper flourish elements. The transparent butterfly was from my old craft stash and I handstitched around it too. I layered various flowers and embellishments and wrote directly onto the gorgeous photo of Kelsey.

Sweet Angel
The second layout was to be a double layout using 5 or more photos. I used various photos I took while on a holiday in Tasmania at Cradle Mountain.

Nature's Magic
The third layout was to be a single page layout describing your greatest achievement in life. For this one I painted the reverse of some ghost letters and then painted some chipboard letters, layering them for the title.

Strong

The journaling says:
"I have achieved so much in my life, a degree, my family, my children, my own home. But my greatest achievement wasnt an accomplishment; it was being the person I needed to be.
There was a time when my terminally ill mother needed me, my unborn baby needed me and mine and my mother's business needed me. There was no time to stop and let emotions take over. I could not fall in a heap. There was just time to get on with the job at hand. And when my mother passed away just 8 weeks after the birth of my 2nd child, there was definitely still no time to stop. My family needed me to be strong and the business, my mum had worked hard to build up, meeded me to be strong and decisive. I was the eldest and it was up to me to organise everything and help everyone elese get through. I needed to be strong, the world around me relied on it and I was STRONG. That is my greatest achievement. When, after 2 years, the business finally sold, then it was my turn to stop."
The final requirement was to produce a 'mystery item'. Well I created a 'Homework Helper' from cardboard packaging found inside a stock box at work. I thought it was interesting how it had various flaps that opened left, right, top and bottom, and took it home thinking I might be able to create something. Well I covered it in paper and ribbon and created areas for markers, a calculator, maths set, note book, writing pad and a pocket for a homework book. I added the timestables with an acetate flap with the answers covered so that a whiteboard marker. Downloaded information about shapes, etc was added to finish it off. It is tied together with a buckled ribbon.

Homework Helper
Hope you like.

5 comments:

Lisa K said...

Awesome work Cindy!!!

Stefanie said...

Congrats.
Awesome Lo's and so much work, all that handstitching, lovely details.

Angela said...

Congrats Cindy!

Missing you so much:( Wish I could just grab a Cindy fix... Looking forward to catching up with you real soon, will be back down that way shortly to finalise a few things, hope you and family are safe and well anyhow.

Mwah and Hugs Angie xo

Lisa said...

You are so clever. Congrats on your honorable mention!

Ella Swan said...

Wow Cindy you have been busy since I last visited! Thanks for stopping by yesterday...& BIG congrats to you...you know what they say about 3rd time lucky, next year you'll be one of the masters I'm sure of it!